Friday 22 August 2014

Hobby time. Kingdom Death & Battle Systems



Kingdom Death: Great Game Huntress Pin-up (Pinups of Death)

I've actually managed to put brush to paint to model this week.

Whilst waiting for Kingdom Death:Monster to arrive, I couldn't help notice a restock in the KD store of the resin Super Savior. A model I'm fond of, I took the opportunity to grab this model and the Kingdom Death: Pinups of Death boxed set. More on this set to come.

I wanted to put one together, but I didn't want to have to make any decisions on any optional parts, so I've started with the pin-ups that can only go together one way. :)
This is the Great Game Huntress Pin-up. She comes with a little human slave ornament thingy holding her crossbow, I've left him/her seperate for painting.
I started by spraying with the ever ubiquitous GW black spray. And dry brushing a light grey over the whole model to show off the details.
I then used a white pallid flesh base paint to cover all the skin areas. Once dry I started to build up a flesh tone using a watered down flesh colour.

Next will be a few choice spots of flesh wash to darken the shadows and a highlight of the pallid flesh to lighten up a few shiny bits like cheeks and stomach, possibly with a dab of pure white if I want her to look shiny. I'll see when I get there.

I will have to consider what kind of shadowing and light sources I want to represent on this model too. It's all experimental really but if I take my time there's no reason this couldn't be one of my best models to date, with each pinup a stepping stone to raise my painting skills. These are certainly the best models I've ever seen in plastic.

Thinking of colour schemes is difficult, I was considering maybe going for a Harley-Quinn thing with black red and white, but I actually like the original art from KD

the white and red make her look rich and royal, nothing like the lowly survivors. I may have to learn to paint a good silver though!!

Battle Systems
The main culprit of my lack of painting hobby time, is this gem!

My Battle Systems Kickstarter arrived! It's so cool! A 2'x2' square of multi level terrain with obstacles and furniture.
This is how it looked after I started to question the playability of my first design, it was demolished soon after and I've been redesigning it since.
I have to say it required some patience to assemble the first time. It prompted me to buy a cutting mat and lots of new blades. Slots need adjusting, the odd component needs help when pressing out of its sheet, but apart from that, it's so intuitive, some components don't even tell you what they're for, but as you build it you see obvious uses for them. I think I must have said "aaaahh that's what these are for!!" More than anything else last weekend.

My biggest regret is that I didn't buy more, so I'll be keeping my eye out for any kits that go on sale in the future.

Hoping I'll get some hobby time this Bank Holiday weekend (between the drinking...)

Cheers
TSINI
blog comments powered by Disqus

slideshow

The Lucky 88th History

The Lucky 88th

The Royal planet of Borlina is just off the Cadian gate, once a thriving hive planet with a high percentage of royal and rich descendants from Terra itself. Now a diseased, war torn hell hole, home to a twisted secret the Inquisition would rather not recount.

The Curse of Borlina

During a Chaos incursion (Blood & Bile of the Rich Invasion 960.M41) Inquisitor Payne ordered the Orbital Bombardment of the entire planet, choosing Viral Bombing as the means of execution of the foul beasts and corrupted Governors.
Unfortunately the Borlina PDFs were also sentenced to death, whilst deeply in conflict with the Chaos forces.
Under pressure from Inquisitor Rayvenn (of the Black Storm), Inquisitor Payne mercifully ordered areas with high concentrations of loyal forces to be bombed with a weaker strain of the virus. Whilst the planet was bombed with Virus 1, a highly corrosive airborne agent which subsides after 1 day. Virus 13 (a Plague like virus with no corrosive element) was deemed legal for use over loyalist troops, who were forewarned, advised to find cover and don gas equipment. Low on supplies, deep in conflict and without gas equipment the lucky 88th miraculously fought off Virus 13 as if it was a bad case of flu.

Affirmation

A nearby Commissariat fleet jumped at the opportunity to put together their own personal force and made planet fall to gather together the pockets of loyal troops into a fighting regiment. This proved quite difficult, requiring the aid of the nearby Space Marine chapters (“Dragon Marines” and “Black Storm”) to seek out loyal forces.

The largest surviving regiment had barricaded themselves in the Master Palace, which impressed the commissariat no end, for it was a disease ridden nightmare, the very palace itself was a Nurgle infested monstrocity.
Having already adopted the name “Lucky 88th” due to the large amount of survivors from the 88th regiment the troops added a Lucky Ace symbol to their armour and vehicles, much to the annoyance of the commissariat who view it as graffiti and unofficial. In return the more senior commissars keep their gas-masks on when in combat to stir anger into the men, making them fight harder for the injustice caused to them. Lower Commissars tend not to test such practises, wary of the men turning on them when cut off from high command.

Recruitment: The Virus Run

Any outsider coming into contact with any surviving member of the Borlina virus attacks must first be inoculated from the infectious version of the virus which can be fatal to weaker immune systems. New Recruits however are not so lucky. Firstly they are put through a year of heavy training wearing gas masks. Graduation into the Lucky 88th is only complete after a gruelling month fighting through the Virus Run, a heavily infected area of the former Borlingrav Palace, now a Bastion of pestilence and disease. The survivors of this infamous death zone gain the respect of the rest of the regiment, except for the veterans who hate all outsiders including the commissariat.