due to this being their first time hosting a tournement, they have gone for a doubles, 500point (per person) Combat Patrol game.
My friend John from DDWG has kindly agreed to be my ally, and we have decided to field Imperial guard armies together. (he has been forwarned that we will be mainly losing if my last tournement is anything to go by.
to give you an idea of how limiting this competition is, i will do a quick summary of the calneage rules
Calneage! will be using the GCN combat patrol force organisation
chart and the following army selection criteria
Minimum of 1 troops choice is compulsory
optional: 1 HQ choice, 2 Elites, 3 more Troops, 1 Heavy Support
· No more than 500 points may be spent on the on a Combat patrol force,
using the Force Organisation for a combat patrol.
· No vehicles with a total armour value greater than 33. Calculated by
adding the Front, Side and Rear armour (only count Side once)
· No Model can have more than 2 wounds, with the exception of units with
the Small Target special rule (although these may no be taken as compulsory
· No Special Characters may be used.
· No 2+ saves
· No ordnance weapons are allowed
· Each army is limited to the troops specifically permitted by its list and
allies may not be used. Imperial armies may not take Daemon/Witch Hunters or Death Watch
· Any full Codex’s/Army Lists including White Dwarf chapter Approved
articles published at least one month before the tournament will be allowed.
Exceptions to this rule are the Imperial Guard Armoured Company, The Blood
Angels Death Company army and Elysian Drop Troops.
· Daemon and Witch hunters may use inducted Guard units or Allied Space
· Equipment detailed only in Forge World’s Imperial Armour publications may
not be used. Though Troop units may be used ie: Krieg Death Guard, Renegades
· No VDR vehicles or Tyranid monstrous creatures will be allowed.
· You will require two appropriate objective markers in addition army.
These should be mounted on a base no larger than 65mm in diameter.
· All models should be painted with a minimum of 3
colours, and bases should
flocked or textured.
· Miniatures should adhere
to the WYSIWYG rules. Weapons and wargear
upgrades should be adequately
· Although painting and modelling will not affect your tournament
will be an award for the ‘Best Army’.
In Particular I was curious as to how a game without Special Characters, 2+ armour saves, 3+ wounds, Heavy Tanks, and ordinance weapons would play out and how best to exploit that as a guardsman.
in my haste i based a force around a leman russ executioner, thinking, "that will hurt", until i realised (it was a slow day for me) that the armour value of an executioner is WAY too high
so i sat down and set about making my plan, i came up with this:
As many guardsmen as i can field with heavy weapons, blasting the hell out of everything. i think that might work.
also i thought i should chuck in my sentinals to give some mobile fire support and make some nice targets for the enemy to worry about uneccesarily.
The Rest of the Patrol
i was adamant that my conscripts should get another game in. they were utterly hilarious in the ATTACK 09 tournement. useless in my first 2 games, but amazing in my third game. i'm going to make sure my commander is within 6" of them and give them FRFSRF at the first opportunity, (when any enemy are within 24"/12")
also, what kind of other forces can be fielded with 500points. for example space marines (about the only other codex i have a good knowledge on) wouldnt be able to field much for 500 points surely, im hoping that with 20 heavy weapons i should be able to whittle them away swiftly from behind my meat shield...